California Women Lead is proud to partner with UnitedAg on their inaugural women’s leadership academy. Mirrored after our own statewide LEADership Academy, our partnership with UnitedAg includes modules focusing on leadership development, advocacy, personal leadership journey and the State Budget. Women meet throughout the year at sessions moderated by California Women Lead.
Recently, as part of our partnership, California Women Lead organized and executed two successful legislative days at the State Capitol where women participants were able to put their skills into action. We met with a variety of women leaders (and men too) serving in the State Capitol. Some highlights of the day included:
- Met with key staff for Assemblywoman Marie Waldron, Senate Minority Leader Emeritus Jean Fuller and Senator Ed Hernandez.
- Discussed Agricultural issues with the Chairwoman of the Assembly Agricultural Committee, Anna Caballero.
- Lunch in the Governor’s Conference room with Appointments Secretary Mona Pasquil and her team to discuss how to serve on an appointed board or commission.
- Great discussion with Senator Holly Mitchell, Chairwoman of the Senate Budget Committee, on important issues facing women in regards to pay equity and healthcare.
- Wonderful private tour of the State Capitol with opportunities to visit both the Assembly and Senate chambers.
- Breakfast with Board of Equalization Member (and 2018 Candidate for State Treasurer) Fiona Ma. Discussed her experiences while in the State Assembly as Speaker Pro Tem and the important role the women Ag leaders are playing as community advocates.
- Talked about changes in healthcare and the impact on the agricultural industry with Senator Toni Atkins.
- Met with the Chairman of the Assembly Health Committee, Jim Wood, and talked about the health care services that UnitedAg provides their members.
- Wrapped up the day taking about education issues and intern opportunities in the agricultural field for members of UnitedAg with Assemblywoman Sharon Quirk-Silva.
It was a full two days of meetings, discussion and learning about how our legislative process works. It was a great opportunity for these women leaders and California Women Lead is proud to partner with them!